Platinum Jubilee Celebrations at Central Ammunition Depot, Pulgaon


  • Platinum Jubilee Celebrations at Central Ammunition Depot, Pulgaon
    Platinum Jubilee Celebrations at Central Ammunition Depot, Pulgaon
    1 of 1 Photos

NAGPUR: Central Ammunition Depot, Pulgaon its Platinum Jubilee on 16 May 2017. The history of Central Ammunition Depot (CAD) dates back to 1930s, when Lord Linlithgo, the Viceroy of India, General Sir Claude Auchinlek, the Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff of India, General Sir Rob Lockhart and General Frank Messervey met during a conference at Lahore.  A need was felt to raise logistics organisation in India, not only to support the British war in South-East Asia, but also to accept the back-loaded resources under the pressure of the Japanese offence.

 An aerial survey of Central India was carried out to select a site for storage of back-loaded ammunition of all three Services from Singapore.  The conceptualization fructified when Pulgaon was chosen as a strategically better site than Itarsi and Bhusawal, after the aerial survey.  On 06 Mar 1942, the construction commenced, and a temporary railway siding was made by 16 May 1942, at the present location.  The Depot was inaugurated by Lt Col W V Atkins, Chief Ordnance Officer of the Central Ammunition Depot.

The depot was initially an inter-services organisation, meant for storage of ammunition and explosives, with elements of Navy and Air Force forming part of the establishment.  The Naval Detachment moved away in 1947, and the Air Force Unit (7 MU, IAF) got detached in the year 1970. The Depot has a glorious history, and rich tradtions. The personnel of the Depot have excelled in many fields and have been awarded. The Depot was adjudged as the best Central Depot in the year 2015, and was awarded for innovation in the year 2014, and 2016. The depot was also awarded Concentrating Solar Technology Excellence Award  2016, for Solar Thermal Steam Generation Equipment by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

Thirteen personnel of the Depot received awards on the Republic Day 2017. Lt Col Ranjeet Singh Pawar, Maj Krishnan Manoj Kumar, Nk Ran Singh, Sep Satya Prakash Singh, Sep Ram Chander, and Sep Satish were awarded Sena Medal Gallantry (Posthumous) for their gallant contribution in dousing the fire during an accident on       31 May 2016. The soldiers ensured that the effect of the accident was localised, and the neighbouring locations and surrounding villages remained safe.

The Depot has completed seventy five years of service to the nation on 16 May 2017. On this occasion, depot organised Mandir Function, Special Welfare, Special Sainik Sammelan and Wreath laying at Memorial.



add like button Service und Garantie

Leave Your Comments